Post 9/11 GI Bill & Montgomery GI Bill Time Limits
- Recent legislation made the Post 9/11 GI Bill a forever benefit.
- Generally, Montgomery GI Bill veterans have 10 years from the date they were last released from active duty to use their education benefits.
- Reservists generally have 10 years from the date they became eligible for the program unless they leave the Selected Reserves before completing their obligation.
- Spouses generally have 10 years from the date the VA first finds them eligible.
- Children are generally eligible from age 18 until age 26.
These time limits can sometimes be extended.
Wisconsin GI Bill
Wisconsin has its own GI Bill for Veterans and dependents of veterans with a 30% or greater disability rating. Visit the Wisconsin GI Bill website for general information.
For more information, please contact the Veterans Office at 920-834-6817, contact your school official, or call the VA's Education Services at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (888-442-4551). You can also visit the VA's Education Services website.