Name Change for Newborns

The information contained on this web page is provided as a courtesy to members of the public and shall not be construed as legal advice. If you have questions, contact the Wisconsin Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service 800-362-9082 for additional assistance.

Wisconsin Statutes 69.11(3)(b) allows you to change your child's name without a court order, for up to 365 days after his/her birth. To do this, contact the Wisconsin Office of Vital Records at 608-266-1373.