Vital Records

The information contained on this web page is provided as a courtesy to members of the public and shall not be construed as legal advice. If you have questions, contact the Wisconsin Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service at (800) 362-9082 for additional assistance.

The Wisconsin Office of Vital Records is responsible for Wisconsin Vital Records (birth, marriage, death, and divorce certificates). This includes filing, preserving, protecting, changing and issuing copies. The Wisconsin Office of Vital Records Office determines if a court order is required to amend a Wisconsin birth, marriage, or death record.  The Oconto County Clerk of Courts cannot commence an action regarding amending a Wisconsin record unless the petitioning party received an amendment packet from the Wisconsin Vital Records Office.   

Instructions for how to Amend a Wisconsin Birth, Marriage, or Death Certificate can be found on the tabs on the left-hand side.