Marriage certificates are filed in the Register of Deeds office of the county where the marriage ceremony was performed, for marriages taking place on June 20, 2015 and prior. They are NOT cross-filed in the county of residence or the county where the marriage license was issued. A marriage certificate for a marriage taking place on June 21, 2015 to the present can be obtained from ANY county's Register of Deeds office in Wisconsin. A certified copy of a marriage certificate may be required to change a last name, to obtain benefits, or for travel.
Certified copies issued by our office will be printed on security paper with raised seals. State law restricts who may obtain a certified copy of a marriage certificate. A certified copy may be issued to:
- * The bride and groom named on the certificate;
- * A parent of the bride or groom named on the certificate;
- * A brother or sister of the bride or groom named on the certificate;
- * A child of the bride and/or groom named on the certificate;
- * A grandparent of the bride or groom named on the certificate;
- * A person authorized in writing by one of the above (The written and signed authorization must accompany the request and the relationship of the authorizing party to the subject of the record must be clearly explained.); or
- * A person who can demonstrate that the certificate is required to determine or to protect a personal or property right.
If you do not meet one of the above criteria, you cannot receive a certified copy of a marriage certificate.
If you are entitled to receive a certified copy and are able to come to the office in person, the fee is $20 and the copy will be made while you wait. Proof of ID is required. Office hours are 8 am through 4 pm, Monday through Friday.
To order a marriage certificate by mail, please complete an application from the Forms and Documents section of this website. The fee is $20, check or money order, and the certified copy will be sent via regular mail, usually on the same day we receive your request.
Additional copies of the same record, ordered at the same time, are $3 each with any of the methods of ordering.